An estimated one billion people worldwide are suffering from back pain. It affects all age groups, from children to the elderly. It is the biggest single cause of disability on the planet, with one in four adults estimated to suffer from back pain during their lives. 80% of adults report lower back pain at some point in their lives and 10-15% of all sports-related injuries involve the spine. Lower back pain accounts for more lost working hours than any other type of occupational injury and is the most frequent cause of activity limitation in those under age 45.
So it’s important to understand what the spine is, what it does, and most importantly, how we can keep it healthy.
The bones in your spine, and throughout your body, need nutrients to rebuild and stay strong throughout your whole life. Eating a balanced diet rich in calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium is the best way to feed your bones and ward off serious spinal problems, such as spinal fractures and osteoporosis. But, inadequate diets or medical issues can create nutritional gaps—that’s where we at C Beyond Health can assist you!
Taking the right supplements may boost certain areas of your health. Your spine is no different. To improve your spinal health, take a look at some healthy supplements meant for increased spinal strength and wellness – all available from C Beyond Health.
- Turmeric (1,000 milligrams daily): Turmeric contains curcumin, which is the active ingredient that has powerful anti-inflammatory abilities, anti-aging effects and reduces pain.
- Calcium has received much attention as the most prominent of bone minerals. It is essential for bone health and helps maintain the necessary level of bone mass throughout the lifespan, and especially in old age. Adequate calcium intake is particularly important to help prevent the development of osteoporosis, a disorder characterized by weak and brittle bones that can result in painful vertebral fractures in the spine.
- Digestive enzymes bromelain and papain (500 milligrams three times daily): Found in pineapple, these enzymes are natural anti-inflammatories that also help reduce swelling.
- Omega 3 fatty acids (2,000 milligrams daily) – This is a supplement that is good for the body as a whole, lending benefits to the heart, brain, and of course the spine. It helps to reduce general inflammation, and it also gives support to the little amounts of fluid in between different parts of the body.
- MSM (2,000–8,000 milligrams daily): (Methylsulfonylmethane ) MSM is highly effective in improving joint flexibility. Additionally, it helps to produce flexible skin and muscle tissue. This leads to an increase in overall flexibility due to a restoration of the “juiciness” in the tissues.
- Collagen, the most abundant protein in your body, is something your body naturally produces. All parts of the lower back — bones, muscles, and tendons — contain collagen.
- Vitamin D3 -One of the most important roles of vitamin D is to maintain skeletal calcium balance. It helps the body absorb calcium, which is crucial for the development of strong and healthy bones. Without sufficient vitamin D, bones can become thin, brittle, or misshapen. If you have back pain, a vitamin D deficiency could be making your pain worse.
- Vitamin K2 (100 mcg/day): Vitamin K is an important vitamin that is beneficial for bone building, blood clotting, controlling calcium absorption, protecting the heart and supporting brain health.
Taking care of your spine — that is, your back and neck — now will help you lower the chances of experiencing back pain later. Let us at C Beyond Health help you make sure your spine stays happy and healthy!!
Call us on 082 928 1965 or visit us at the Hemel & Aarde Village in Sandbaai and Eastcliff Village Hermanus.